Why Tumblr is the New Hub for Social Media
You have probably heard of it: Your coworkers have an account, your child won’t stop talking about it, and some of your friends have probably even mentioned it in passing. Tumblr.Com is a picture-sharing site developed by a web developer and entrepreneur named David Karp. A short-form blogging website, it is somewhat no different from Twitter or Facebook, in which it allows users to post long journal entries and upload high-resolution images.
It has originally been seen as a journal-site which caters to the work of artists and writers alike. Amateur and well-known artisans alike would flock to it, having a chance to create their own blog and present their ideas and works to the world. As the Tumblr user number grew from its launch in 2007, there are a total of eighty-six million blogs in the website, and about thirty-nine billion total posts. Tumblr has evolved from what they classified as a “hipster-centric” sit into a full-fledged social hub where artists, fans, promoters, and bloggers alike have gathered to create their own community.
Tumblr is now a home for fandoms, where fans gather and celebrate their love for certain genres. From Harry Potter to Star Wars, from Supernatural to Doctor Who; you can find traces of every movie or television show in every nook and cranny of the site and you can find unlimited content for whatever it is you are searching for. It is still a center for struggling artists, whether it’s digital or traditional. Web comic artists can also be found here, and a multitude of writers have made their home in Tumblr as well as they swap stories and fanfiction alike with fellow writers. You could also find photographers, cosplayers, knitting fans, props fans, photomanipulators, and a whole lot more. If you are quite the techie and are looking for blogs on internet fax and call services, you would probably find some content in here as well.
Reasons on why you should pay attention to Tumblr:
Aside from the scope of Facebook and Twitter where everything is made public, Tumblr caters to a different side of users which explores their hobbies, opinions and interests without having to expose much of their private lives.
1) Viral strategies: Tumblr is the best place to circulate news and viral promotions, considering that it provides a “re-blogging” platform which easily allows users to share posts and pictures of other users for their convenience.
2) Announcements and News: Providing easy-to-manipulate controls and features, fansites and newssites which are situated in Tumblr could effortlessly broadcast their announcements to their followers with ease, keeping the fanbase posted.
3) Fandom Flavors and Interests: With its easy to maneuver tag system, you can easily find interests of users and the content of the genre; whether it’s a television show, a movie, a book, or even a web comic.
4) Clear-cut Demographics: With users ranging from 13-years-old and above, you can easily fit and address the demographics of the site with its tags system and interests.
5) Intellectual Opinions: With the power to change usernames at a whim and the freedom presented in the site, Tumblr users tend to be very opinionated on issues – whether its gender-based or politically-charged.