Environment Friendly Offices: Where to Start?
With the effects of climate change slowly being felt, it is time for businesses to do their part in helping save the environment. There are a lot of things each company can do, from recycling to going paperless.
And these measures do not even have to be a sacrifice. There are lots of environment-friendly initiatives that can also help companies be more productive. In this infographic featured in the RingCentral small business blog, it shows that replacing traditional fax with Internet fax not only saves the environment but also saves companies a lot of money.
In fairness to business owners, most are actually willing to implement these kinds of measures. The problem is that a lot of them do not know where to start.
If you are one of those business owners, here are some of the office aspects that you can work on:
You can do a lot of small things to save on energy. The simple act of tuning off lights when they are not needed can make a big difference. That is why doing every measure you can to save energy is a worthwhile effort.
Some of the things you can also do to save energy include:
- Shutting down all computers at the end of business hours.
- Setting copiers and printers to sleep after a period of being unused.
- Using CFL or LED light bulbs.
- Unplugging microwave ovens and coffee makers after business hours.
- Using natural lighting when possible
Putting used scrap papers all together in the right trash bin is just one of the recycling measures. You can also implement other recycling policies, including:
- Place recycling bins on all common areas so that employees who have recyclables wouldn’t have to look around for the proper trash bins.
- When replacing furniture and equipment, contact the facilities and operations department of your company to know if these items can be reused by others.
- Use recyclable materials.
- Use recycled materials.
- Use refillable printer cartridges.
If you can decrease waste produced by your company, the less dump the government would have to recycle or dispose of.
Your company can reduce waste by:
- Printing on both sides of the paper whenever possible.
- Using misprints as scratch papers.
- Promoting the use of inter-office envelopes
- Assigning areas where employees can access shareable and reusable office supplies.
You can also help decrease carbon emissions from cars and other vehicles by promoting some earth friendly tips:
- Encourage biking by placing secure bike racks within the building area.
- Encourage employees to carpool to maximize car capacity.
- Allow employees to work from home so that they no longer have to drive to work.
These are just some things you can start with. Allow yourself to be creative in coming up with ways to help save our planet.